About Me

My photo
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
I have worked in the travel industry most of my working life, owning my own agency for 14 years as well as working for travel industry suppliers. I wanted to share my life, my stories, my likes and dislikes with you and hopefully get some feedback from all of you out there in blogger world. I currently live in the Midlands, I am 45 years old and have two grown up children 24yrs and 19 years.

Tuesday 6 December 2011

Euro Crisis - Nevermind the Euro what about the water


While the whole world seems to be talking about the state of the Euro and Euro member states and what
they should or shouldnt do or could have done Europe has been suffering a different crisis one that has been
affecting our travellers taking River Cruises...

We all think of lack of water as hosepipe bans during the summer months and dont consider for one minute
the effect that European dry summers have had on the waterways.

The Rhine and Moselle have suffered terribly and now the low water levels mean that there could be
uncertainty as to whether some of the river cruise lines will be able to operate fully their end of year cruises.

Fingers crossed maybe plenty of rain will fall and feed into these rivers so that passengers can continue
with their plans without any disruptions or cancellations. For river cruises of course ships cannot just divert
to another port as ocean cruises can. Their only options are to cancel or arrange for passengers to visit certain places by coach which of course sort of defeats the idea of a River Cruise.

Of course not only have the river cruise lines had the worry of the water levels but we all saw on the television
that Koblenz had to evacuate half of its population while two world war 2 bombs were diffused in the Rhine.

So lets forget the money Euro crisis and hope that the cruising crisis doesnt happen, I dont like to say it but
let plenty of rain fall now to save these cruises but stop just after Christmas so that high water levels dont cause a problem either.

No comments:

Post a Comment