About Me

My photo
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
I have worked in the travel industry most of my working life, owning my own agency for 14 years as well as working for travel industry suppliers. I wanted to share my life, my stories, my likes and dislikes with you and hopefully get some feedback from all of you out there in blogger world. I currently live in the Midlands, I am 45 years old and have two grown up children 24yrs and 19 years.

Tuesday 19 July 2011

Striking Taxis Drivers cause havoc at Piraeus Port

I was talking to a client last night who has parents on a cruise on the Celebrity Solstice at the moment.

He had received a number of texts from them telling him that unfortunately their scheduled stop in Piraeus had been cancelled due to striking taxi drivers blockading the port of Piraeus.


I thought this needed an investigation and yes indeed not only was the Celebrity Solstice unable to dock but also the Voyager of the Seas.
Although the cruise lines were aware of what was going to happen and had tried to put contingency plans in place, unfortunately the taxi drivers had other plans and decided to stop any passengers from leaving the ships to travel on their sightseeing trip to Athens.

The good news however was that the Seabourn Odyssey was allowed to disembark their passengers who were travelling home for the airport and take their new passengers on board so at least the taxi drivers did have some compassion.

The yellow cab drivers are protesting against deregulation of their industry as part of the economic reforms demanded by Greece's international creditors

Thankfully the strike was due to end at 5am tomorrow so normal service can be resumed with at least 3 cruise ships a day visiting the port of Piraeus the cruise lines will be feeling relieved that for the moment this industrial action has finished and I am sure with all the recent troubles in Greece they are keeping their fingers crossed that no further troubles will affect their passengers especially now we are into the peak summer weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment